Enjoy the Emmaus community history and heritage that is richly preserved in these attractions. There are public tours and exhibits during the Preservation Week and Heritage Days annual events. Private tours are available by appointment. Contact the Emmaus Historical Society for additional information.
Emmaus Historical Society
563 Chestnut Street, Emmaus, PA
Here on display for all to enjoy are uniforms, miniatures, license plates, calendars, sketches, photographs, and books. Each month there is a new display on a featured topic. Formed in 1992, The Emmaus Historical Society preserves the history of Emmaus industry, education, religion, genealogy, hotels and inns, business, agriculture, and municipal government.
Third & Adrian Streets, Emmaus, PA
This is the site of the area’s first multi-denominational community church, erected in 1742, and its original cemetery. The first burial here was in 1743. Simply-engraved flat stones mark the graves of Moravian Congregation original members, two Indian girls, and Emmaus men who served in the American Army in the Revolution.
Emmaus Moravian Church
Main Street and Keystone Avenue, Emmaus, PA
The present Moravian Church sanctuary and neighboring parsonage were built in 1834. Prior to that date the Moravian Congregation worshiped in the log church at God’s Acre.
Fairview Street, Emmaus, PA
This primitive log cabin was built in 1734 as a place of refuge in case of Indian attack. It was given its original name, “Zufluchtshaus,” meaning “house or structure to which to flee.”
The Shelter House is a two-story, eight room log cabin in a state of preservation that exhibits remarkable detail in colonial log cabin features. It is believed to be the oldest continuously inhabited structure in the Lehigh Valley . The Shelter House is recorded in the State and National Register of Historic places.
55 South Keystone Avenue, Emmaus, PA
This beautifully restored stone, Georgian-style residence was built in 1803 by the son of Jacob Ehrenhart, one of the co-founders of the original congregational village.
Through scheduled tours and various special events throughout the year, children and adults can obtain a glimpse into the lifestyle of the inhabitants of colonial Emmaus – into the lives of Jacob and Susanna Ehrenhardt and their four daughters.
Knauss Homestead Farmhouse
164 E. Main Street (rear), Emmaus, PA
Phone: 610.965.9080 or 610.395.1240
This house was built in 1777 by a son of the co-founder of the original village, Sabastian Knauss.